blank
blank

Compassion

Monday, February 27, 2012

Little Books for Little Cooks - Humpty Dumpty

Little Books for Little Cooks
We had a lot of fun with the Nursery Rhyme theme in the kitchen.  My five year old helped me put together an easy Humpty Dumpty breakfast.


The Book Before You Cook

Humpty Dumpty...After the Fall by Charles Reasoner

Summary:  If you have ever wondered what happened to Humpty Dumpty after he fell, then this is the book for you.  It is shaped like a castle, has die cut doors and peek through windows, and a rhyming text.  Humpty also has a positive attitude that is perfect for the youngest reader.


When it's time to cook...

You'll need:

  • one hard boiled egg 
  • one piece of bread 
  • food safe marker or food coloring
  • peanut butter or other bread topping

To make:

1.  First, I hard boiled a few eggs.  I think everyone knows how to hard boil an egg, but I put my eggs in a pot, cover them with water and bring that to a boil.  Once it boils, I remove the pot from the heat, cover it and let it sit for ten minutes.  Then I remove the eggs from the water and place them in a bowl of ice until they are cool enough to handle.  Using this method has worked great - I have never had green yolks!


2.  I used a Wilton Food Writer pen to draw the face on a hard boiled egg.  These pens are great for making fun food, and they come in different colors.  If you do not want to purchase a food safe marker, dip a q-tip in food coloring to draw the face on your eggshell.

3.  Then I spread peanut butter on a piece of bread and cut it into squares and rectangles.
 

4.  I then assembled it on a plate to look like a wall.  If peanut butter doesn't work for you, any topping will do - jelly, cream cheese, almond butter, etc.


Finally, Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall and it looks like he is about to fall!

Little Books for Little Cooks is a monthly feature that focuses on creating some edible fun with your little one.   We will share a fun book to read with your little one along with a cooking activity to do that ties in with the featured book. Sometimes there may be actual cooking involved…and sometimes just fun!


1 comment:

Michelle Marckesano said...

This is too cute, Emily and Juliette would love this.  Humpty Dumpty is one of their favorite Nursery Rhymes!